Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day Eleven - My Favorite Part of the Day

Prompt:  What is your favorite part of the school day?

This is probably the easiest post for me to write!  I absolutely love the passing periods; you know, the time between class periods in high school.  You should know that my classroom is located in a small hallway - we're talking only two rooms!  I like to call it the Siberia of the school because it's far away from all the other classes, but full of the best resources.  Due to the location of my classroom, my students don't have to spend too much time in the crowded hallways.  They can break free from the congested crowds, and enjoy a bit of solitude.  Since the hallway is so small I end up waiting in the main hallway away from my class door; I do this also because in the first days of school I have to flag down students so they get to right room.

Anyways, since I'm standing in the main hallway, I get to do shout outs to every student as they walk up to my hallway.  I spent the first two weeks of school quizzing myself on the names of all my students, and the kids got a kick out of it.  I'm pretty sure that I know everyone's name by now, and so I make sure to greet each student by their name (nicknames for those jokesters).  The kids sometimes run to the hallway, or make these grand gestures (like their being birthed from the congested hallway).  Most students try to make me laugh with their actions as they walk to class, while others try to beat me to their morning/afternoon greeting.  Still, others high five me when they're walking to my classroom, or they stop and act like my bodyguards.  It's quite a show, and some of the other teachers working hall duty can't help but laugh.

It's in these five minutes that I'm able to acknowledge every single child.  I make sure to wish athletes, band members, and performing arts students good luck before a big game/performance.  Sometimes, I take note of band t-shirts other kids are wearing, or compliment a new haircut.  It's noticing the student as an individual apart from their educational persona that allows me to show the human side of myself, not just the teacher.  Besides the students like when I notice the small things, and over the semester they begin the reciprocate the sentiment.  They develop their communication skills, even if it's just for a brief moment.  But, knowing that my students get that small moment of acknowledgement before even stepping foot in my class, I feel that I'm trying to be the best example of a caring person for these teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment