Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 5 - Tour of Room #133

Prompt:  Post a picture of your classroom, and describe what you see - and what you don't see that you would like to.


Alrighty ... Here's a photo of my room I took a week before school started because I was extremely exhausted at the end of school today that I forgot to take a picture of my lived in room.  I really don't like this picture, but it's better than not posting anything.

(Disclaimer:  I was in the middle of prepping the room, so it wasn't completely finished!)

Now for the critical analysis of my room...

I absolutely love that I now have tables in my room because it makes it easier for my students to collaborate on their assignment.  Ultimately, these tables are going to better facilitate the PBL class setting I'm hoping to achieve this year.  I had set up the room in a conference style for the first day of school so the students would be able to focus on the back-to-school presentation.  However, on any given day, the classroom furniture will be moved around.  I really don't like to maintain a stagnant layout because then the students become complacent because the room is so predictable (and these teenagers will not have that!).  Most of my students are picking up on the fact that it's a constant shift much like a seating chart.  Some have embraced it, others question my methods.  It will make sense when they actually get to move the tables themselves to better facilitate their learning environment.

Also, I'm so grateful that the department chair requested the massive world map that you see in the picture because I use it ALL THE TIME!  It makes it easier to pinpoint specific regions/places on the class map than trying to pull up a map on the document camera.  It allows me to jump around and allows the students to interactively use it.  Last year I actually had a student come up with a great exercise that we used to review for their final exams.  We made a large tape ball that the students would throw at the map, and wherever it landed, the students would be quizzed on material for that particular location.  I though it was a genius move on the part of this students, but he was always thinking out of the box.

This picture also shows that I do not use a "teacher desk" ... I chose to remove it from my classroom last year.  Best decision EVER!  I made the decision for both practical and experimental reasons. First off, when I switched classrooms last year, I felt that to make more room for student activities and so some things had to go, and my desk made the chopping block.  Without the desk as a barrier, I found myself interacting more with the students.  I would sit in empty desks or on the floor to work on assignments with my students.  I felt that I was a better teacher by being more present with the students when we were in the classroom together.  This year, I decided to keep the desk out of my room, and I feel like I connect and communicate better with my students because of it.  I jump around the room throughout the class period, and I can conference with various students at any given time.

You can't see my classroom library because I was standing in front of it when I took the picture, but I'm kind of proud of what it has become in the past couple of years.  This summer I went crazy at book and garage sales looking for books that would pique the interest of my students.  I also have old textbooks from my undergrad and graduate school (that are appropriate) mixed in the library.  Topics range from biographies of world leaders to pop culture, from social issues to international politics, and even novels.  I've had several students sneak over there when they've completed their assignments to check out the stash.  It's awesome seeing students who are often reluctant to read find a book that sparks their passion.  I believe that every child has the ability to love reading, it's just a matter of finding the right book.  I actually got that from my mom (you should see her classroom library ... it's what dreams are made of for little kids!).


Now for what I don't see in the picture that I would like to ... obviously, the students.  I adore my classes this year.  I feel like everyday is a roller coaster of emotions and styles of intelligence, and they keep me pushing my boundaries and limits in the best way possible.  

Also, if I could I would put white boards or interactive boards on every wall to allow students a chance to express themselves or visually plan out their assignments.  I've seen some teachers who have altered their rooms to include additional sites for student creativity, and I'm dying to get something of that nature in my room.  I'm contemplating using white butcher paper and draft paper (which my uncle donated when he was cleaning out his office ... score!) as a means of achieving this area.  

Lastly, I think it would be pretty cool to have a classroom large enough to facilitate varying collaborative areas.  It would be awesome to have reading chairs and a coffee table in an area of the room for students to plan out their ideas for PBLs.  Also, a technology corner where students to work on multimedia aspects of projects.  I just get so excited talking about classroom design.  I've spent countless hours looking up innovative classroom designs of schools (especially in Denmark and Sweden!).

Classroom design has a special place in my room.  I'm that teacher that spends her nights planning out her dream classroom in her head.  Call me crazy, but I think that a creative space can only invite creative thoughts from the students.  One day .... one day it will happen.

-A

1 comment:

  1. I think walls of whiteboards would be awesome. They are a hot item in the universities right now! I also dream to have a "coffee" area, but the district is full of "restrictions" to what can be in a room. We can dream that it will change. I love the big map-reminds students each day that the world is full of possibilities for them!

    ReplyDelete