Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Weekend Warrior

Prompt:  What roles do weekends and holidays play in your teaching?

The answer to this question is dependent on the time of year, but it's a combination of school and housework.  If it's during the school year, I spend the majority of weekends and the breaks (winter and spring) trying to accomplish as much school work as possible without the distractions that comes with the school day.  If it's during the extended summer vacation, then I spend my time with my family and trying to relax.  However, most of the summer vacation ends up with me attending PD or pouring through material that will help me in the upcoming school year.

It's kind of strange considering how much emphasis I place on my job.  Many people comment on the fact that I spend so much time working, even when I'm technically "off the clock".  People have pointed out that I need more balance in my life, and I guess that I understand their point.  But, they fail to see my point of view.  I believe that I've been given a gift to share with these students, and I don't want to waste it.  I really don't see that I'm sacrificing anything because I've consciously made this decision to work in a field that allows me to share my knowledge with others while learning from other individuals.  It's a complete blessing to find a career that combines my talents with my passion.  So, while others place values on other things in their life, I place mine in my passion - teaching.

I have decided that I do need to allow myself more time to recuperate because being on your feet all day and constantly having your mind going at full speed can drive anybody insane.  This school year, I have found myself spending weekends spending more time with my family; and, with both my parents being educators, I find that we all have an outlet in each other to share the ups and downs of the week.  I guess my goal then is to provide myself with a chance to catch my breath and enjoy all the great things that my students are doing in the classroom as opposed to being sick all the time because I've worn my body down way too much.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment