Monday, September 8, 2014

Day Eight - The Non-Existent Desk Drawer

Prompt:  What's in your desk drawer, and what can you infer from those contents?

This question is really difficult because, simply put, I don't have a desk for myself.  I removed my desk last year to facilitate more space for student desks and activities.  I had to remove several pieces of furniture so I could move around the student desks, and my desk was included on the list of things to go.  The first couple of weeks without a desk were difficult because it had been a sort of safety blanket for me, but I've grown to see that it's benefitted myself and students to not have in the classroom.

So, I guess the best way for me to answer this question would be to look at my electronic work station where I sort of keep all my necessary class materials.  I took an old credenza that I bought for my first apartment and brought it into my classroom to use as an electronic workstation.  This piece of furniture has a couple of drawers and shelves, so this should suffice for this particular post.




Inventory of my Workstation:

  • iPad and MacBook Pro VGA connectors
  • tardy slips
  • Post-Its (what teacher doesn't have these?)
  • index cards (for exit slips)
  • travel-sized First Aid kit
  • Febreeze Air Effects (bc the wall plug-ins cause allergy problems)
  • highlighters
  • Sharpies
  • too many pens to count (in a variety of colors, of course)
  • paper clips
  • binder clips
  • staples
  • light bulbs
  • masking tape
  • pencil sharpeners
  • White-Out
  • Trix cereal bar (a gift from a student; keeping this handy for students who didn't get to eat breakfast)

And here come my inferences ...

  • Clearly, it's the start of the school year because I still have school supplies!  Somehow, of the course of the year things "walk off" or are never returned after being borrowed by students.  As you can see by the random things thrown into the drawers, I'm not a very neat and orderly teacher all the time.  I try so hard every year, but it never fails that I revert back to my old ways.  But hey, I know where everything is at (most of the time).
  • I have some pretty active students because the Air Effects is almost a necessary in my room every year.  When my students enter the room after playing football or soccer during lunch, it can get a bit funky-smelling up in the room.  It's better to be prepped with the spray than have that one student who thinks that spraying Axe body spray to mask the smell is the best solution.  No it isn't because it just leads to a classroom that smells like a locker room, and no one likes that smell!
  • I'm definitely accident prone ... I don't know how many paper cuts and bruises I've given myself.  I'm constantly in need of a band-aid, and I just like to have my own stash so I don't have to bug the nurse.  It never fails that I have a couple of kiddoes just like me, so it's just necessary to be prepared.
  • The adapters show that I'm a bit biased about my electronics ... I just find it easier to work within the same system, and I feel more capable as a teacher if I don't have to question where a file is located and if it's compatible with a computer's software.

Well, there you have it ... A quick glimpse into my pseudo-desk.

- A

No comments:

Post a Comment